keskiviikko 18. maaliskuuta 2009

Traces of blood in my alcohol stream
















It's all about commitment


I awoke today to an absolutely shattering headache and upon pressing my watch to my eyeball was surprised to find it was well past noon. Based on my hazy memories, the pictures in my camera and the stuff people had written in Mr. T, St. Patrick’s Day was a blast!! Great people, great music, great atmosphere and great drinks! They sell something called “buckets” over here, which have to be one of the most fiendish inventions I’ve ever encountered. They basically consist of a little plastic bucket filled with ice, about 3 decilitres of whiskey/vodka/rum/gin, a can of Coke and a splash of Red Bull. You knock back just one of them and you’re already pretty hammered, and two or more will get you absolutely retarded, which seemed to be the case with most people last night. I’m now finding that nursing a hangover in sweltering forty degree heat is excruciatingly painful, although a swim in the Andaman Sea is a pretty good, albeit temporary, cure.

 

I realized again last night that my memory is just incredibly shit. Not to mention my memory. It’s just shit. Strictly speaking, it’s only bad when it comes to remembering important stuff like peoples’ names or what topics have already been covered in conversation. On the other hand, when it comes to useless trivia like Seinfeld or South Park quotes, it’s fucking encyclopaedic. Last night I had a conversation that went something like this:

Ben: “So, what are you studying at Uni?”

Girl: “Teaching, I’m going to be an elementary school teacher.”

Ben: “Oh that’s interesting, my dad is in teacher education, and...” 

This was followed by a long and elaborate discussion about the role that teachers play in society, the challenges of the job, her motivations for studying etc. Then after about thirty seconds:

Ben: “So, what are you studying at Uni?” 

Lucky she thought I was joking.

 

Anyways, the few days before St. Paddy’s I stayed at a tiny, yet picturesque beach called Ao Toh Ko on the Eastern side of Koh Phi Phi. The little hotel plus restaurant plus dingy reggae bar form a resort that’s the only establishment around, and can just about handle twelve guests at a time, so it’s really laid back. Also, the place is practically isolated come high tide or darkness, since the only paths back to the city leave from neighbouring beaches and getting to them is a pretty sketchy enterprise even in daytime. I would definitely recommend it to anyone seeking a respite from the hassle of Ton Sai. The snorkelling there is just phenomenal too, and I continued my interactions with the life aquatic here, when I accidentally stepped on a sea urchin. As a souvenir it kindly deposited about a dozen or so spines in my foot, which kind of blows. I’m soaking them in lemon though, and apparently they should dissolve in a few days time.

I will probably try to get to Koh Lanta tomorrow, but today my only plan is to see if I can climb into that esky full of ice.

 










Exhibit A: The infamous bucket on the right













Mr. T gets tattooed


P. S. I have a vague recollection that this song was played at some stage last night.

Paolo Nutini – Last request

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZpDn4N_bik



 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti