tiistai 31. maaliskuuta 2009

Fading lights and revelations

















Mr. T poolside


Have I raved enough about how absolutely fucking spectacular this island is? Yes? Good. Then let me just quickly plug the bungalows I’m staying at as well. The Sawasdee Resort is absolutely fantastic. The couple who run it, Fon and Nui, are just the sweetest people you can imagine, and Nui is a goddamn culinary genius to boot. I am systematically going through the entire menu here just because everything is so tasty. And this is not just the munchies talking either ;) The couple had a bit of shitty start for the business, as it had only been open for two weeks when the tsunami hit in 2004, but they seem to have recovered, and now the resort is definitely the nicest on the island. That’s why it really pains me to leave this place, but I’m determined to see the Gulf of Siam islands as well, and I want to do some diving on Koh Tao. Heavy weighs the heart of a traveller, as for every joyful “sawasdee”, a sombre goodbye he must endure.


I had a bit of a jungle-adventure a few nights ago when I was heading back home from the other side of the island. It was a dark, moonless night and the tide had come in thus cutting off my usual route home via the beach. This meant I had to go through the jungle, which, I have come to find, is always a shitty option. The real challenge came when I found that the batteries in my flashlight were as good as dead, and what had previously been a blinding shaft of light was now more like a feeble glow. It was absolutely pitch black and the so-called jungle “path” was basically just regular jungle with about 5% less stuff growing on it, and as such difficult to follow even in daylight. After about ten minutes I was already hopelessly lost and disoriented, with no idea if I was on the pathetic excuse for a path anymore or not. That’s real-life path dependency for you. So there I was, alone, bumbling around in the bloody jungle, not being able to see more than two feet ahead of me and surrounded by all kinds of weird noises (the kind that sound like they will eat you). I have to say, it was pretty surreal for a country-boy far away from home. What really made me jump was when I pointed the pathetic beam of light at a nearby bush and saw... a pair of eyes glowing in the dark! I shit you not. It occurred to me that I was either a teen separated from the pack in a B-rated horror film or a wildebeest on the Discovery Channel, but either way, things weren’t looking too good.. My time had not yet come, however, and after a few tense seconds I heard a reassuring “Miau” from the darkness :) In the end, through trial and error I did find the right way, and after having a stiff drink back at the resort I swore I would not make the same mistake of trying to navigate the jungle in the dark again. Of course I did the very following night with equally disastrous results but anyway, I bet there’s a lesson in there somewhere. Actually the whole escapade reminded me little bit of Monkey Island 2, where you’re lost in the jungle and seemingly every path just takes you back to where you’ve already been. Anybody get that reference?



















Ko Chang - Picture perfect



P. S. This is one of the most powerful mood-altering songs known to man. Effects are intensified ten-fold if the sun is shining outside and it’s spring-time.


The Eels – Fresh Feeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjVpkEGAgiw

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti